Thinking of applying to Uni for Sep 2021?
You may have an idea of what course you want to do, but what Universities offer that course?
Once you figure that out, you need to decide which Uni is for you and that’s where Open Days come in… This is your chance to find out about Universities.
First, you’ve got to shortlist the Uni’s you want to visit on an Open Day, so you must consider…
- The Universities who have offered you a place
- The Universities which will accept your grades/ predicted grades
- The cities/ towns where you would like to live
- The Universities you like
Once you’ve got your shortlist together, plan when you’re going to attend the open days, if you can’t attend all of them, contact the Uni and arrange a private campus tour, however, be aware that not all of the staff/ ambassadors will be there on this day.
Before the Open Day, you need to consider…
Travel- How will you get there? How far is the Uni campus away from the train station? Is there any parking? And remember to book any tickets in advance as they are normally cheaper.
Getting around- Get your hands on a campus map to help you get around easier and make sure you have maps on your phone, you will 100% need it.
Itinerary- You must plan where you’re going and when, Open Days are full on and there is something happening all of the time. Plan your day around any bookable taster sessions, but make sure you have enough time to get to and from where you need to be.
Special requirements- If you have any special requirements contact the Uni beforehand, they will supply you with all the information you need.
What to take- Your itinerary / Uni agenda, portable charger, water,snacks and a bag for all the leaflets you’ll be given.
Who will be there- If you know the course you’re applying for, find out who your lecturers would be, so when you’re there you can speak to them and ask questions.
Questions- Have lots of questions prepared, you will be paying a lot for Uni, make sure you understand the Uni and the course fully.
Go with someone- They will probably know you better than you think you know yourself, but ultimately you have to be happy with the decision.
When you’re at an Open Day…
Open Days can be overwhelming, with 100’s of University students all fighting for the attention of the poor 2nd year ambassador. But remember to…
- Ask questions (even if you think they are silly, others will be thinking the same)
- Don’t be late (even though you’re not yet a Uni student, it doesn’t look great)
- Don’t leave early (this is your opportunity to get lots of info, use it!)
- Take all the leaflets (you may miss a lot of info, the leaflets will help when you forget the 400 things which were said to you)
- Talk to student ambassadors (they will tell you not only about courses but the best accommodation, where to shop and where to eat)
- Enjoy it! This is the start of your Uni journey, take in all the info and start to get excited about starting University!