A vital part of living in student accommodation is the safety of everyone one site. Fire safety is a major factor in this. Here are some Fire Safety Essentials in your space.
Know your escape route if there is a fire on site. Do you know the quickest way out of your flat? Consider alternative routes just in case the main route is blocked.
Most student fires are linked to cooking so keep your cooker clean – a build-up of grease and fat can catch fire. Take extra care when cooking with oil.
Don’t cook when you’ve had alcohol. A forgotten pot on a high heat and too much oil is a recipe for disaster. Don’t risk it and treat yourself to a take away if you’re hungry after a drink.
Cigarettes, smoking materials and candles cause the most fire damage. U-Student is a smoke free zone to eliminate this danger. We have designated smoking areas outside and candles are strictly prohibited.
Don’t overload plug sockets. Electrical fires can happen when devises overheat. Turn plugs off and remove from the power sockets when they are not in use such as hair driers and mobile phone chargers.